Benchmarking Nginx on a prehistoric PIII 500

Cliff Wells cliff at develix.com
Fri Mar 14 06:31:27 MSK 2008

On Thu, 2008-03-13 at 19:54 -0500, Denis S. Filimonov wrote:
> I'm surprised noone has asked the most obvious question yet: Why vmware?
> It's a huge unknown factor in the measurement which renders the whole
> experiment questionable at best.

I think this is actually a good benchmark specifically because it's in
VMware (although I think Xen or OpenVZ would have been more
appropriate).  It's not a pure HTTP server test, rather a test of how
the various servers operate in the constrained environment of a VPS.
With the massive increase in VPS hosting and the fact that lots of
people utilizing VPS hosting would benefit from a lightweight HTTP
server makes this particular benchmark quite useful.

Regards,
Cliff