Feature requestED: monitoring Nginx from the outside

Manlio Perillo manlio_perillo at libero.it
Thu May 1 12:31:04 MSD 2008

François Battail ha scritto:
> Manlio Perillo <manlio_perillo at ...> writes:
>
>> Good.
>
> Thanks.
>
>> When actually happens the running phase?
>> At the end of the HTTP request? At regular intervals?
>
> I've set a hook in logging phase.
>
>> Note that since you don't know when a variable will be updated, you may
>> miss important changes in the variable.
>
> Yes, but it's monitoring, not real time.
>
> [...]
>>> 4) Scripts
>> I can't see any form of synchronization here.
>
> Correct, but it's monitoring not real time, value fetch is atomic and so it's
> coherent at a given moment. Nginx is write only and use ngx_atomic_t variables;
> it's a snapshot at a given moment. Well can I said it's just monitoring ;-)

Ok, I know that the implementation does atomic fetch of monitored variables.

But the purpose of this module is to make these variables available from
an external client, right?

However if the external client and Nginx do not synchronize the access
to the shared memory, then the client will potentially read wrong values.

> Thank you for your input,
>
> Best regards.

Regards   Manlio Perillo