A hardware question

mike mike503 at gmail.com
Thu May 1 19:17:43 MSD 2008

On 5/1/08, Manlio Perillo <manlio_perillo at libero.it> wrote:

> I don't know MogileFS, what is the rationale for this form of URL?

I believe the .fid is file ID. So "0000000005" is the file ID, and it
spreads the file over a seg/ment/ed directory to make sure there's not
too many files in one dir...

> I was assuming that each file have the same URL path component for each
> mogstred-server, so you only need to dynamically know the upstream address
> and port.

I am not sure if this is right.

I believe MogileFS will store the same file however it's host and
"devX" that is dynamic, I need to spend more time with a multi-storage
node and double check this

I think it is like this (3 replicas)

http://mogstored-server:7501/dev1/0/000/000/0000000005.fid
http://mogstored-server:7501/dev2/0/000/000/0000000005.fid
http://mogstored-server2:7501/dev3/0/000/000/0000000005.fid

Or, it could start with /dev1/ on every host though, but that might
mean it is *not* the same device on every node, but the file ID is the
same.

I could be completely wrong though. Really need to ask some specifics
from Mogile folks and try some stuff.