Weird timeouts, not sure if I've set the right threshholds

Denis S. Filimonov den.lists at gmail.com
Sat May 3 00:44:21 MSD 2008

Hi guys,

Can anyone explain the prejudice against NFS?

Specifically, why would additional proxy hop be faster than serving files from
NFS?
I can see two points in favor of NFS:
- NFS client caches files while Nginx doesn't (yet)
- Nginx doesn't support keepalive connections to upstream, hence additional
latencies and traffic for TCP handshake/finalization. NFS doesn't have this
issue since it typically works over UDP.

I do have a couple boxes serving a lot of traffic (mostly PHP) from NFS. It
works just fine, though it did take some NFS tuning.

--
Denis.