checking config outputs a pid file

Jeffrey 'jf' Lim at
Tue May 27 09:48:11 MSD 2008

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 1:31 PM, Igor Sysoev <is at> wrote:

> On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 11:53:45AM +0800, Cherife Li wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Has anyone noticed that `nginx -t' outputs an empty pid file while the
> > nginx process isn't running.
> >
> > I can only add
> >   if [ ! -s $PID ]; then
> >     rm -f $PID
> >   fi
> > to the check-config section of my rc file at the moment.
> Yes, nginx creates pid file on -t to test possibility to create it.
> It does not write any pid there and does not remove it.
> The later was done intentionally because there may be race condition
> when nginx startes, creates file, then someone run nginx -t, it creates
> file, and deletes it.

so in this case, if the file is there already, then running nginx -t will
assume that the file creation is ok, and not do anything to it? This seems
to be the case for my tests.

In the meantime, here is your PSA:
"It's so hard to write a graphics driver that open-sourcing it would not
-- Andrew Fear, Software Product Manager, NVIDIA Corporation