How to enable Nginx to serve PHP code/pages in Ubuntu

mike mike503 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 23:46:19 MSK 2008

i personally verified that it is in fact recycling the processes
(where spawn-fcgi -never- recycled even after the default 500 or
whatever it was) and it also spawned 5 children exactly how i told it
to.

i am curious to know why you say that.

also, i do consider php-fpm essential, otherwise i'd be managing
homebrew scripts to launch different fcgi pools (i have one per user)
with varying options and number of children, requests, etc. php-fpm
centralizes it and makes it very easy to use, graceful reloading, etc.
so no, i also disagree with your "not needed" statement. i tried
everything from apache + suexec + mod_fastcgi/mod_fcgid, mod_suphp,
spawn-fcgi, etc, etc. php-fpm was the cleanest method of managing all
the aspects i looked for, and will also soon introduce the apache
style process management which was one of the top two things i was
looking for.