Need SSL state to be visible behind a double nginx proxy

Nick Pearson nick.pearson at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 00:06:17 MSK 2008

You're right that using "proxy_set_header X_FORWARDED_PROTO https;" is all
that's needed to tell Rails that the request is secure.  Your back-end
server configs are what I used.  The reason for listening on multiple ports
is that the back-end nginx does not pass the X_FORWARDED_PROTO header (from
the front-end nginx) through to Rails.

I'm not quite clear on which part isn't necessary, though.  Your example
config is essentially what I'm using now.

Thanks,
Nick