Serving executables over web

matt davies mjdavies at glam.ac.uk
Fri Nov 7 14:58:45 MSK 2008

Hello everyone, I've got the following lines in my host.conf that I'm
including into my main nginx.conf file

location ~* ^.+\.(pdf|mpg|avi|mp3|swf|zip|tgz|gz|rar|bz2|doc|xls|exe|
ppt|txt|tar|mid|midi|wav|rtf|mpeg|jpg|jpeg|gif|png|ico|css|bmp|js)$ {
             root   /www/django/django_projects/son/static;
             limit_rate 5000K;
             access_log  /www/django/django_projects/log/
inform_nginx_django_media.log  download;
         }

It works fine for all my js and css files, I can see them in the log
no problem, but we have two 10mb .exe files that are taking an
incredibly long time to download, and I can't find any mention of them
in the media log file.  As you can see exe is in the list of
executables, and the files themselves are definitely within the root
defined.

Can anyone think of any reason for this?

It's as if the fastcgi that the django is using to run is serving the
files instead.

Matt