strange 'too many open files' errors with nginx 0.6.32

Glen Lumanau glen at
Mon Nov 17 13:52:49 MSK 2008

Hi there,

worker_rlimit_nofile 10240;

to your nginx configuration should fix this problem

Glen Lumanau

From: owner-nginx at [mailto:owner-nginx at] On Behalf Of
Arash Ferdowsi
Sent: 17 Nopember 2008 17:50
To: nginx at
Subject: Re: strange 'too many open files' errors with nginx 0.6.32

oh, and one more thing, restarting nginx seems to fix everything (until the
error pops up again a day or so later :-)

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 2:48 AM, Arash Ferdowsi <arash at>

i'm seeing a strange 'too many open files' error with nginx (which I'm sure
many of you have seen before):

2008/11/17 02:15:02 [alert] 21748#0: accept() failed (24: Too many open
files) while accepting new connection on

strangely enough, I have the following line in /etc/security/limits:

* hard nofile 524288

and ulimit -n returns the same number. I have 2 workers set to a max of
262144 connections. upon receiving that error (and after past occurrences)
I've run lsof and gotten < 10k sockets. additionally, I have a nearly
identically configured machine (running twisted) where each process is
handling ~15k connections. so I'm a loss as to what's going on here (and
suspect some subtle bug in nginx or in my server configuration. any help
would be greatly appreciated!

Arash Ferdowsi
CTO, Dropbox
913.707.5875 (m)