Ebb and Transfer-Encoding: chunked

John Miller lists at ruby-forum.com
Sat Nov 22 03:06:03 MSK 2008

While I bet it is not encountered too often, there is a bug existing
between NginX and Ebb.  Most frameworks (Rails, Merb, Sinatra,
others?...)  pass a string as the final(body) element of their Rack
response.  Rack merely requires that the body respond to :each by
yielding strings.  When and array (or something more complex) is passed
to Ebb as the body, it sets 'Transfer-Encoding: chunked' and then sends
each yielded value as a chuck.

NginX speaks to its back end services using HTTP/1.0 which does not
include Transfer-Encoding.  It therefore adds it's own transfer encoding
and life becomes very messy.

To fix this, there is a patch in this thread:
http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/152435?reply_to=717744#672279

Thanks to Igor for the patch.  I hope this can save someone else an
afternoon of fiddling.