My first question on nginx - can nginx find the mail server based on domain

fl_cn_web fl_cn_web at
Sun Nov 30 20:20:29 MSK 2008

nginx can solve this problem very well.
you can run nginx on Guest01, who have a external IP
and all the other servers are in your local network, with local IP.

when Guest01 received requests from Internet, nginx which are runing on Guest01 can forword all the
request to your local servers, and local servers can send the requested data to Internet via nginx who
is running on Guest01.

come on, boy

发件人: Stephen Liu
发送时间: 2008-11-30  23:38:47
收件人: nginx at
主题: My first question on nginx - can nginx find the mail server based on domain
Hi folks,

nginx is completely new to me.  I'm searching around for a solution to
solve my problem as mentioned hereinbelow;

I have a Xen box (a virtualizaion box) with following setup

Host - Debian Etch Workstation
Guest01 - mail server for routing
Guest02 - mail server, hostname01. localIP_01, domain01
Guest03 - mail server, hostname02, localIP_02, domain02
Guest04 - mail server, hostname03, localIP_03, domain03

MTA - Postfix
Database - MySQL
Couier IMAP

all mail servers running postfix on Debian Etch.

single (one) external IP with all ports forwarded to Guest01 except
port 53 which is forwarded to the DNS server, also running on a guest
of the Xen box.

Guest01 routes all incoming mails according to their domains to
respective mail servers.  All outgoing mails are sent via the routing
mail server, Guest01, to Internet.

The system is working nicely on Intranet.  Mail client, Evolution, on
workstations connected to local network, the Intranet, can send/receive
mails on mail servers.  Server settings on mail client work on
either local IP or on hostname.

My problem is if the workstation is on remote site, not on local
network, with one external IP how can the remote mail client find the
mail server which it needs to connect.

Can nginx help me out?  If YES Please shed me some light where can I
find relevant document on its setup to solve my problem.  TIA

Stephen L