h.264 streaming support?

伍鹏 wupeng at openv.cn
Thu Oct 9 15:12:42 MSD 2008

Dear Thomas,
I updated the source code today and removed some junk code.
I recommand you download a new version and compile again, and then tell me the compiler output.
Please tell me you machine 32bit or 64bit, what CPU type, your os and version, and your compile version.
I guess you use a 32bit machine, so I added some code to deal with this issue, maybe I have already solved the compile error and warnings.
Because I do not a 32bit test box, you could download the new version code and tell me your result.

Best Regard,

Peng Wu

发送日期:2008-10-09 18:39:55
收件人:nginx at sysoev.ru
主题:Re: Re: Re: h.264 streaming support?

I checked the changelog for Nginx, and indeed the directio function
was introduced in 0.7.7. So I tried compiling with 0.7.17, and now I
get the following error message:
src/http/modules/mp4//ngx_http_mp4_module.c: In function 'ngx_http_mp4_handler':
src/http/modules/mp4//ngx_http_mp4_module.c:551: warning: comparison
between signed and unsigned
src/http/modules/mp4//ngx_http_mp4_module.c:581: warning: passing
argument 4 of 'moov_seek' from incompatible pointer type
src/http/modules/mp4//ngx_http_mp4_module.c: In function 'atom_read_header':
src/http/modules/mp4//ngx_http_mp4_module.c:777: warning: cast from
pointer to integer of different size
make[1]: *** [objs/addon/mp4/ngx_http_mp4_module.o] Error 1
make: *** [build] Error 2

I recall a former post on this topic:
I'm not sure manipulating mp4 files is a good idea in a single process
server. Also Adobe released a new FLV specification a few days ago
that supports h264, so there is no real need for supporting mp4 files,
because the flv streaming module already works.

Has anyone experienced any problem about that? If I understand
correctly, the mp4 file format was not designed to be streamed online.