head requests and chunked transfer encoding

Daniel Crompton lists at ruby-forum.com
Thu Oct 23 15:22:38 MSD 2008

Igor Sysoev wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 01, 2008 at 11:05:19AM +0200, Spil Games wrote:
>> least one empty chunk when claimed to do chunked transfer encoding.
>>
>> Wouldn't it be better to not use chunked transfer encoding at all for
>> HEAD requests?
>
> Yes, nginx should not set the "Transfer-Encoding: chunked".
> The attached patch fixes this.

What about the other way round? I send the following:

POST / HTTP/1.0

<-- body here -->

And receive:

HTTP/1.1 411 Length Required
Server: nginx
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 11:08:57 GMT
Connection: close

<center><h1>411 Length Required</h1></center>

I think that somebody took rfc2616 section 4.4 a little to literally:
Transfer-Encoding header field and a Content-Length header field, the
latter MUST be ignored.</i></blockquote>

Content-Length MUST be ignored, but it doesn't mean it should bail with
an error. Or am I missing something?