Reverse Proxy with Trac

Mario Gazzo mario.gazzo at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 16:39:52 MSD 2008

Hi,

I have some trouble getting NGINX to work as a reverse proxy for one
or more Trac servers running in a separate virtual machine. I am new
to NGINX and I have been following the examples to get something
really basic up and running with one Trac instance. I am using the
Trac daemon tracd, which I have had up and running for some time now.
This is my nginx.conf

worker_processes  1;

events {
     worker_connections  1024;
}

http {
     include    mime.types;
     include    proxy.conf;
     default_type  application/octet-stream;

     sendfile        on;
     keepalive_timeout  65;

     server {
         listen       80;
         server_name  dev.mytestdom.dk;
         location /trac {
         	proxy_pass http://192.168.0.187:8000/;
         	proxy_redirect default;

The file "proxy.conf" is taken from http://wiki.codemongers.com/NginxFullExample
  and the mime.types comes with the distribution.

The problem is that it works with location "/" but not if I bind it to
"/trac" since the relative links in Trac are not translated correctly
i.e. I get links like "http://dev.mytestdom.dk/mypage" instead of "http://dev.mytestdom.dk/trac/mypage
".

  I tried both versions 0.7.19 and 0.6.32.

Any help is appreciated and I am really interested in using nginx as
reverse proxy for our many different servers.

Cheers
Mario