Unix sockets for fastcgi_pass

Chris Savery chrissavery at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 05:46:45 MSD 2008

I just tested out using unix sockets for fastcgi_pass instead of the
often seen
It worked fine as far as I could tell.

Is there some reason no one seems to do this? I've read that sockets are
faster (don't know how much though) and probably more secure since they
aren't potentially exposed to the net. So that sounds better to me but I
see everyone seems to configure php using

Unix sockets only work on the same machine, right? So that would knock
it out for many situations. But for my use right now this would work. Is
there another reason not to do it?

Chris :)