Unix sockets for fastcgi_pass

Sergej Kandyla sk.paix at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 17:16:28 MSD 2008

mike wrote:
> On 9/1/08, Chris Savery <chrissavery at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I just tested out using unix sockets for fastcgi_pass instead of the often
>> seen 127.0.0.1:9000.
>> It worked fine as far as I could tell.
>>
>> Is there some reason no one seems to do this? I've read that sockets are
>> faster (don't know how much though) and probably more secure since they
>> aren't potentially exposed to the net. So that sounds better to me but I see
>> everyone seems to configure php using 127.0.0.1:9000.
>>
>> Unix sockets only work on the same machine, right? So that would knock it
>> out for many situations. But for my use right now this would work. Is there
>> another reason not to do it?
>>
>> Chris :)
>>

> I've heard of people having problems with sockets in the past, and
> switching to TCP resolved it. (disclaimer: this information may be
> old, and newer kernels/whatever could have removed that from being an
> issue)
>
> I've been using connections over localhost forever and never have had
> any issues - so if it isn't broke, why fix it? It seems plenty fast
> too :)
>
> You won't be exposing your FastCGI engines to the network if you bind
> it to localhost - it will only be accessable via the localhost
> interface then.
>
> Sockets can provide more security as you can use filesystem
> permissions to control them (you can't easily allow/deny specific
> users to specific ports), they could (for all I know) be faster, I
> believe you can use them over NFS exports (but you probably wouldn't
> want to, might as well just start FastCGI over TCP and bind it to a
> network-accessable IP)

for freebsd (probably and linux too)
tcp sockets have some little overhead

http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-stable@freebsd.org/msg93193.html
http://freebsd.monkey.org/freebsd-performance/200703/msg00044.html

In real life you could use both ways (unix sockets and tcp ports),
proffered is that you feel more comfortable for himself.

As for me, I'm using unix sockets without any issues.

--
Best Wishes,
PAIX-UANIC | SK3929-RIPE