Virtual Domains

David mishy.cth at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 02:49:47 MSD 2008

Hello,

I have 5 sites that will all be sharing the same IP, and 2 that will have their
own IP addresses.

I have a series of conf files that I include that contain server {} sections.
Each conf looks like this:

server {
        listen          xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx;
        server_name     domain.com www.domain.com;
        access_log      /var/log/nginx/domain.access.log main;

        location / {
                index   index.php index.html;
                root    /home/domain/public_html/domain;

For the sites with unique IP addresses I have put their unique IP address in the
listen statement.

For the sites that are sharing an IP address I have put the same IP address in
each domains conf file for the listen statement.

Is this setup correctly ?

Additionally, for a site that receives 700K PVs/month on a Dual 2.8Ghz Xeon 4Gb
RAM with pretty heavy MySQL usage, how many workers should I be starting would
you think ? I have something in the region of 500 users loading pages every 15
minutes.

Whilst here, if anyone has had any experience with a site setup/volume like
that, what PHP-FPM settings do you use ?

max_children
StartServers
MinSpareServers
MaxSpareServers