Reverse proxy performance woes

Igor Sysoev is at rambler-co.ru
Thu Sep 4 10:02:44 MSD 2008

On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 05:27:14PM -0500, Clint Priest wrote:

>    Hey all, I'm running into performance issues with nginx as a load
>    balancer.  I have three web servers and one load balancer server.  All
>    four of them have nginx installed and setup.
>    Using a stress testing tool (jMeter) I am able to get 220 requests per
>    second from any of the three web servers.  When I go to the load
>    balancer I cannot break 180/s.
>    All four of the servers are on the same /24 network, the stress test
>    server is on another /24 network.
>    Any ideas on what it could be?

What do you use as backends ? If backends are java-based, then it can be
java accept connection overhead: nginx currently does not use persistent
connection to backends. Also, nginx as intermediate link will always add
some delay, however, I do not think that this delay can be so huge on
so low request rate (180r/s vs 220r/s).

--
Igor Sysoev
http://sysoev.ru/en/