HTTP PUT for file uploads

mike mike503 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 12:19:41 MSD 2008

On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 12:43 AM, Grzegorz Nosek
<grzegorz.nosek at gmail.com> wrote:

> UU/base64 are quite similar (both are rather simple and expand the
> encoded text by 33%), yenc I haven't heard of before. Do you *need* to
> encode the chunks in any way? I'd probably send them raw with some
> checksum (CRC32, MD4, MD5, SHA-something, depending on the application)
> in headers.
>
> BTW, if you keep the chunk size as a multiple of page size (usually 4K,
> though you may encounter 8K and maybe more), you should be able to
> mmap() chunks of the file for minimum overhead.

Thanks for the pointers - Valery would be implementing this for nginx
(unless someone else did) but he's already got quite a good amount of
experience and maybe I can talk him into it :)

After thinking about it more, it probably doesn't need to be encoded,
as long as it is checksummed. I suppose headers can be used for that.

Also it would be neat if the server advertised it's advanced upload
capability, or something so that the client side applet (and possibly
built-in to webservers some day) would know "hey, if I upload to this
host, I can use the intelligent transfer system"