How to retrieve HTTP header from Apache in nginx?

Alex Man alexman at
Tue Sep 16 22:49:43 MSD 2008

Hi Aleks,

Thanks for your information.

My problem is that, as I described in my first email, a header is not
passed by nginx to the ZEO clients for some reason. Igor said that it
should pass the header to Zope by default but I think it's not doing
that since as soon as I take nginx out of the chain, Plone can see the header.

For your reference, the following is my first email with some more details:

I have the following setup

Apache -> Squid -> nginx -> ZEO clients -> ZEO server (Plone)

Plone needs a header for authentication that is set by Apache in
httpd.conf like the following:

RequestHeader set USER %{VALUE}

My question is, how can I ask nginx to pass on this header to Zope?
I'm sure nginx is the problem because if I take nginx out of the chain:

Apache -> Squid -> ZEO clients -> ZEO server (Plone)

Plone can immediately recognize the user (so I assume it sees the header).

I tried using the proxy_set_header directive like the following in nginx.conf

proxy_set_header USER $USER

but it doesn't seem to work.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks a lot!