(fast)cgi and nginx - there has to be a better way

Jonathan Vanasco nginx at 2xlp.com
Wed Sep 24 02:33:42 MSD 2008

I've spent the better part of the day combing through docs and the
mailing list trying to get MovableType working with nginx

it seems the best option is proxying to lighttpd - everything else
seems to involve hacks and copy/pasting scripts off the wiki

For nginx adoption sake, there really has to be a better way.

running php via fcgi is a PITA, and most ways involve using
lighttpd's fcgi manager
trying to get a fcgi compatible perl app ( like Movable Type ) or a
python app is 10x more of a hassle

looking at the history of cgi discussions, people often reply with
stuff like "i hate perl" or "proxying to a rails/python app is just
easier".  those aren't really answers to problems or trying to use
existing software.

not supporting cgi makes sense, but the barrier to using fcgi with
nginx is 'really fucking high' right now.

nginx is a great system - i hate that I need to proxy to something
inferior like lighty for ease of administration and setup

// Jonathan Vanasco

w. http://findmeon.com/user/jvanasco
e. jonathan at findmeon.com