(fast)cgi and nginx - there has to be a better way

mike mike503 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 22:49:37 MSD 2008

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 11:41 AM, Reinis Rozitis <r at roze.lv> wrote:

> I like nginx and we have solved a lot of problems (like memory leaks and 500
> bad gateway errors) by switching to it. Which is primary.

me too. every webserver i had would give me a 500 error every so
often. under nginx my load balancer gets an invalid read (not sure
why, can't see a spike in cpu, memory, anything to give me a hint)
maybe once or twice a week over 3 servers serving up 4-5 million http
requests a day. that's a pretty good ratio to me.

> Just would like to see some global location option (so I dont have to put
> location *.jpg expire 30d for every vhost) and maybe make the IF() more
> flexible.

i've wound up creating expires.conf for my expires location {} and
just include it where i need it. it's still one line in every server
{} or location {} block...

i agree, it would be nice for some more things to be capable of being
global. the "alias" feature is one that is a bit confusing and doesn't
work exactly like lighty's, and we had a pretty simple but effective
global alias defined across the server...