(fast)cgi and nginx - there has to be a better way

Phillip B Oldham phill at theactivitypeople.co.uk
Mon Sep 29 16:15:25 MSD 2008

Jonathan Vanasco wrote:
> running php via fcgi is a PITA, and most ways involve using lighttpd's
> fcgi manager
Sorry for the late reply... I've been away.

PHP via FastCGI is easy. Just execute `php-cgi -b /tmp/php.socket &`
from the command-line, and its running in FastCGI mode. `export
PHP_FCGI_CHILDREN=X` to set the number of child processes before-hand,
if you need to. I've written a small init script to handle this for me.

Then tell nginx to fastcgi_pass to the socket: fastcgi_pass
unix:/tmp/php.socket

I'm running this set-up on 3 production servers with no problem.

Going down the route of using lighty's spawn-fcgi caused no end of
problems for me. It seems as though the spawn-fcgi binary introduces
some type of race-condition when passing requests to PHP, causing
nginx/lighty to loose connections.
> trying to get a fcgi compatible perl app ( like Movable Type ) or a
> python app is 10x more of a hassle
Isn't it just a case of telling the app to listen on a socket and then
pointing nginx to that socket?
> not supporting cgi makes sense, but the barrier to using fcgi with
> nginx is 'really fucking high' right now.
Do we really need the obscenities?

I think mike knocked up a small SCGI module after I put in a request.
Not sure if anyone in the community is testing/using it, but maybe that
could be a starting point for your issues if FastCGI isn't a solution?

--

*Phillip B Oldham*
The Activity People

*Policies*

recipient(s) only and may be confidential. If they have come to you in
error, please reply to this e-mail and highlight the error. No action
should be taken regarding content, nor must you copy or show them to anyone.

This e-mail has been created in the knowledge that Internet e-mail is
not a 100% secure communications medium, and we have taken steps to
ensure that this e-mail and attachments are free from any virus. We must
advise that in keeping with good computing practice the recipient should
ensure they are completely virus free, and that you understand and
observe the lack of security when e-mailing us.