following symlinks

jackdempsey nginx-forum at
Wed Apr 1 18:57:48 MSD 2009

Thanks Igor, Mike. I've tried the -e flag, and it doesn't seem to follow the symlinks correctly:

   # check if the file exists and serve it
    if (-e $request_filename) {
      access_log        off;
      expires           1d;

    # check for an index file, and serve that
    if (-e $request_filename/index.html) {
      rewrite (.*) $1/index.html break;

    # rails page caching
    if (-e $request_filename.html) {
      rewrite (.*) $1.html break;

    # route traffic to sae-conf cluster
    if (!-e $request_filename) {
      proxy_pass http://site-here;

When I make the link a hardlink, it does work correctly (with just the -f flag). The -e test should work on 0.6.32, right? Is there anything else I might need to do, any option, compile flag, etc? I can't imagine so, but I'm pretty confident given my local tests that its not working. Anyone have a config with -e working on symbolic links? Maybe its worth putting together a demo site/config myself and seeing if it would work for others. Thanks again for the help.