nginx mogilefs module 1.0.1

Valery Kholodkov valery+nginxen at
Thu Apr 16 16:49:46 MSD 2009

----- "Maxim Dounin" <mdounin at> wrote:

> Not really used (and not likely to in near future), but here are
> some questions:
> 1. Any reason why you create hidden location from the module instead
> of accepting name of existing one?  It looks unnatural for me.

There are several reasons:

1) The other way around looks unnatural to me :)
2) People will tend to forget internal; directive, leaving fetch locations open to public, which is kinda security hole. You did it as well, by the way:) I don't feel comfortable with it.

In alpha version of this module, however, mogilefs_pass took location name as an argument as you describe. This also allowed to compile module with nginx 0.6.x.

I don't know where the balance is at the moment. I don't have enough feedback.

> 2. As far as I see it uses only first path returned by mogilefs.
> Is it planned to support failover?  From my understanding it
> should be simple, something like
>     location /mogilefs {
>         mogilefs_tracker ...
>         mogilefs_pass  /mogilefs_fetch;
>     }
>     location /mogilefs_fetch {
>         error_page 502 503 504 = @failover;
>         proxy_pass $mogilefs_path_0;
>     }
>     location @failover {
>         proxy_pass $mogilefs_path_1;
>     }

That's actually good idea, I'll implement it. The only thing I'd love to have to do this is access to parametric variables from modules.
Valery Kholodkov