Noob looking for PHP help

AMP Admin admin at
Sun Apr 19 19:00:26 MSD 2009

I don't really know what --prefix=/usr/local/php-fpm-5.2.9 accomplishes. 

Will that move the default locating of php.ini or anything?

What's the best practice here.  Right now this is on a QA box but will eventually move into production and it's a very busy site so maintenance times have to be minimal when upgrading or making future changes. 

I ended up going with the following because we want only what's needed for our webapp but it's not too late to change it.

./configure --disable-all --enable-fastcgi --enable-fpm --with-mysqli --with-gd --with-mysql --with-freetype-dir=/usr/include/freetype2 --enable-shmop --enable-sysvsem --enable-sysvshm  --enable-libxml --with-pcre-regex --enable-spl --enable-session --enable-xml  --enable-mbstring --with-mcrypt --enable-force-cgi-redirect

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-nginx at [mailto:owner-nginx at] On Behalf Of Jim Ohlstein
Sent: Sunday, April 19, 2009 9:00 AM
To: nginx at
Subject: Re: Noob looking for PHP help

Momchil Ivanov Wrote:
> На Sunday 19 April 2009 02:19:03 Jim Ohlstein
> написа:
> > Momchil Ivanov Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> > > На Saturday 18 April 2009 19:02:19 AMP
> Admin
> > >
> > > написа:
> > > > To apply the patch run:
> > > >
> > > > #cat patch.php-fpm | patch -d php-5.2.9 -p1
> > >
> > > you don't really need cat here:
>                                ^^^
> > >
> > > patch -d php-5.2.9 -p1 < patch.php-fpm
> >
> > I believe the result is the same.
> >
> > Correct me if I am wrong.
> yes it is the same, but that is not the point, see
> above :)
> > > You should also use
> > > --prefix=/usr/local/php-fpm-5.2.9 or
> something
> > > else, just
> > > to have it in a separate directory, otherwise
> you
> > > mess up your system
> >
> > I specifically stated the OS for which these
> instructions were meant
> > (CentOS 5.2 - 32 bit). Following them to the
> letter, php and php-cgi will
> > be installed in /usr/local/bin/ and php-fpm in
> /usr/local/sbin/.
> > php-fpm.conf will be in /usr/local/etc/. php.ini
> will need to be in
> > /usr/local/lib/.
> >
> > In a stock CentOS php is in /usr/bin/ and
> php.ini in /etc/. I have done it
> > this way now in dozens of servers and it has not
> "messed up" any systems. I
> > use different options in 64 bit CenOS but they
> amount to the same basic
> > thing.
> The advantage of having php in a separate
> directory is that you can delete it 
> before installing a new version. Instaling
> everything from source 
> in /usr/local or /usr or wherever leaves you no
> chance for deinstallation, 
> because you don't know what files were installed
> and where. When you are 
> going to upgrade your php installation, the new
> one will overwrite some files 
> (tha files that it installs) but some files from
> the old installation might 
> be left (executables, libs, headers, etc....). At
> this point your system is 
> already messed up and might later need a new
> installation! Therefore on most 
> systems there are facilities called package/port
> managers that help you 
> safely install and deinstall stuff without leaving
> any remains. Remains might 
> later break other applications that you want to
> install. It's a general 
> practice for maintaining your system clean.
> Moreover on different systems 
> stuffs goes in different places and in new app
> versions default paths might 
> change, therefore if you want to have a
> maintainable system you must always 
> specify a prefix directory when installing from
> source.
> It seems that you need to inform yourself better:
>  * CentOS is not an OS, it is a GNU/Linux
> distribution, which is explicitly 
> stated on [1]: "CentOS is an Enterprise-class
> Linux Distribution derived from 
> sources freely provided to the public by a
> prominent North American 
> Enterprise Linux vendor."
>  * there is no stock php, but php that you might
> install via a package, 
> moreover it is common practice from GNU/Linux
> distros to put apps in /usr and 
> confs in /etc
> But at the end, you ca do with your systems what
> you want :) it's the freedom 
> that Unix-like systems give you!
> 1:

It's pointless to carry out this discussion. Everything you say is "technically" correct. However, nothing I have said is "technically" wrong.

We have an expression in English that goes "There is more than one way to skin a cat". There is probably something similar in your language.

I will leave this discussion with the following:

I do know the difference between a distribution and an operating system. I could have been clearer in my choice of terms. So could the people who created the CentOS project. After all, looking at the link that you provided, a page that I have visited many times, it occurs to me that you left out the words at the VERY top of the page, ones that occur before the section that you quoted. Perhaps this was an oversight on your part?

The Community ENTerprise Operating System"

Seems that they are as confused as I am... :)
> Momchil

Posted at Nginx Forum:,1157,1185#msg-1185

More information about the nginx mailing list