vhost issues and rewrite rules

Anselm R Garbe garbeam at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 15:16:10 MSD 2009

Hi there,

I switched to nginx 0.7.61 recently and came across some odd vhost issues:

1. Let's imagine the following cgi script:

--
#!/bin/sh
echo Content-Type: text/plain

that is served using fcgiwrap as follows in the nginx.conf:

        server {
                listen       8080;
                server_name  a.dom.tld dom.tld b.dom.tld c.dom.tld;
                location / {
                        root /; # html results in 403
                        fastcgi_pass   unix:/var/run/fastcgi/test.sock;
                        fastcgi_param  QUERY_STRING       $query_string;
                        fastcgi_param  REQUEST_METHOD     $request_method;
                        fastcgi_param  CONTENT_TYPE       $content_type;
                        fastcgi_param  CONTENT_LENGTH     $content_length;

                        fastcgi_param  SCRIPT_NAME
/usr/local/bin/printenv;
                        fastcgi_param  REQUEST_URI        $request_uri;
                        fastcgi_param  DOCUMENT_URI       $document_uri;
                        fastcgi_param  DOCUMENT_ROOT      $document_root;
                        fastcgi_param  SERVER_PROTOCOL    $server_protocol;

                        fastcgi_param  GATEWAY_INTERFACE  CGI/1.1;
                        fastcgi_param  SERVER_SOFTWARE    nginx/$nginx_version;

                        fastcgi_param  REMOTE_ADDR        $remote_addr;
                        fastcgi_param  REMOTE_PORT        $remote_port;
                        fastcgi_param  SERVER_ADDR        $server_addr;
                        fastcgi_param  SERVER_PORT        $server_port;
                        fastcgi_param  SERVER_NAME        $server_name;

The result is always the first server_name entry, regardless if one
access dom.tld, c.dom.tld or b.dom.tld -- it's always a.dom.tld in the
given example. So I suspect that $server_name is incorrect. A bug?

(I currently have a separate server { ... } section for each
server_name, but I think that's not very great).

2. A second issue is, that the above cgi script is only executed
correctly for me if the server setting:

     root /;

is given. If the root is anything else, I always get 403 errors, why
is that? Is this a bug?

3. Finally let's assume I have two domains dom1.tld and dom2.tld and
let's imagine a bunch of sub-domains each:

     a.dom1.tld, b.dom1.tld, a.dom2.tld, and b.dom2.tld

Now my requirement is, that [{a,b}.]dom2.tld is ALWAYS redirected to
[{a,b}.]dom1.tld. My current solution is this:

    server {
        server_name  dom2.tld;
        rewrite      ^(.*) http://dom1.tld$1 permanent;
    }

    server {
        server_name  a.dom2.tld;
        rewrite      ^(.*) http://a.dom1.tld$1 permanent;
    }

    server {
        server_name  b.dom2.tld;
        rewrite      ^(.*) http://b.dom1.tld$1 permanent;
    }

How can I achieve this with a simpler setup?

Thanks in advance,
Anselm