how nginx handle connection with backend web server?

Jeff Waugh jdub at
Mon Aug 10 13:30:04 MSD 2009

<quote who="Xuepeng Li">

> if it's is 1:1 module and nginx establishes  HTTP 1.0 only to apache
> server,  every time enginx receive a request, it has to proxy the request
> to apache server, what is the advantange make enginx as reverse proxy
> other than make direct connection between browser and apache?

One fantastic example: Serving static files via nginx and dynamic content
with Apache (or any other application server). I wrote about the wonderful
impact of doing this (for a new site in Australia) on my blog:

Check out that memory graph... smaller and more consistent == WIN! :-)

- Jeff

-- 2010: Wellington, NZ
  "Suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us, and the sky was full
   of what looked like huge bats." - Raoul Duke, Fear and Loathing in Las