Permanent redirection with regex after moving blog

Marcus Clyne maccaday at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 17:05:46 MSD 2009

Igor Sysoev wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 12:43:14PM +0300, Marcus Clyne wrote:
>

>> miles wrote:
>>
>>> location ^~ /weblog/ {
>>> rewrite ^/weblog/(.*) /blog/$1 permanent;
>>> }
>>>
>>> location ~ ^/weblog/(.*) {
>>> rewrite ^ /blog/$1 permanent;
>>> }
>>>
>>> You should use the first method.
>>>
>>> Thanks so much, Igor - will do!
>>>
>>> Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,4895,4912#msg-4912
>>>

>> Would
>>
>> location /weblog/ {
>> rewrite ^/weblog/(.*) /blog/$1 permanent;
>> }
>>
>> not be a little more efficient?
>>

> "location ^~ /weblog/" is more efficient than "location /weblog/" because
> "^~" disables testing any regex locations. If server has no regex locations,
> then these two locations are equal.

What about when you have no regexes - will the non-regex location be
marginally faster because it doesn't involve the pcre library (i.e. just
strncmp) (I've not looked at that bit of source code, but I'm assuming
you don't use the overhead of initing a pcre struct for just checking
the first characters of the uri)?

Marcus.