rewrite help needed.

Ian Hobson ian at ianhobson.co.uk
Thu Aug 27 01:42:22 MSD 2009

Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Ian Hobson">
>

>> I installed your repository and public key, and the apt-get update gave
>> an error...
>>

> Looks like you're trying to give apt my personal key rather than that of the
> PPA. The ID of the PPA is mentioned in the error (and is different from the
> one in your apt-key command).
>
> That said, you don't *need* to do any of this. It just makes apt-get update
> quieter (and might avoid a MITM attack, however unlikely).
>
> - Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the explanation. Perhaps the instructions could be clearer.

I clicked on the "read about installing" link to open the box and found

"*Step 1:* On the PPA's overview page you'll see the PPA's OpenPGP key
id. It'll look something like this: /1024/12345678/. Copy it, or make a
note of, the portion after the slash, e.g: /12345678/."

so I clicked the "overview" link in that page, and used the key I found
there.

I suspect I should have used the "Build dependencies signing key" on the
original page.

Regards

Ian