How to log the time in the UTC time format?

Maxim Dounin mdounin at
Tue Dec 1 02:29:31 MSK 2009

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 05:06:57PM -0500, naltimari wrote:

> Well, maybe you're right, but what I need is the same time that would come from 'date -u' command.
> Right now, my log time format is like this: 30/Nov/2009:16:14:39 -0200

It's date and time in common log format

> When I need this: Mon Nov 30 18:14:39 UTC 2009
> Can I change the syntax/format in which the date is written to the log?

No, the is no way to specify arbitrary format for time.  The only
available options out-of-the box is $time_local (time in common log
format) and $msec (seconds since the Epoch with milliseconds

The only option for now is to use something like embedded perl to
construct time in arbitrary format, something like

    perl_set $tt 'sub { scalar localtime }';

and then use it in logs via appropriate log_format.  But I don't
really think it's a good way to go.

BTW, could you please explain why do you need time in this particular

Maxim Dounin