ssl, (no) default and sni

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Wed Dec 2 13:33:00 MSK 2009

Hello!

On Wed, Dec 02, 2009 at 01:15:11PM +0300, Igor Sysoev wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 02, 2009 at 04:20:14AM -0500, GerMalaz wrote:
>
> > Any chance to allow
> >
> > listen 443 ssl;
> >
> > this is, NO "default", if SNI is available?
>
> I do not understand what do you want to reach, but since 0.8.21 nginx
> allows to set listen socket options and features not in default server:
>
>     server {
>         listen  443 ssl;
>         server_name  name;
>     }
>
>     server {
>         listen  443 default_server;
>         server_name  _;
>     }

BTW, the problem with listen ... ssl that bugs me is that one
can't do something like this:

     server {
         listen 8443 ssl;
         server_name x;
     }
     server {
         listen 8443 ssl;
         server_name y;
     }

We use distinct ips in production, but on testing server there is
only 1 ip available and our configuration flattens to something
like the above.  So we have to use separate ssl servers and
activate ssl via ssl on; instead.