page generation time and actual response time difference

Ehud Rosenberg lists at ruby-forum.com
Thu Dec 31 18:35:01 MSK 2009

Hi all,
I'm seeing something a bit odd in our rails app. In the application log
file I see the homepage is constantly generated in under 350ms,
sometimes going as far down as 150ms. However, when I run firebug
locally or Pingdom to test how long it takes to load our site, it
constantly shows a much larger "waiting for response" time, usually
around 600-700ms. I was wondering if anyone can help me figure out the
large difference? Where are those 300-400ms spent?
Is it possibly related to nginx  configuration?
The server is an 8cpu, 8gb ubuntu installation with a server load of
about 1.6.
Thanks!