error_page problem - 50x.html

Yanni Mac lists at
Thu Feb 12 20:01:51 MSK 2009

I have the following Nginx config:

    error_page   500 502 503 504  /50x.html;
    location = /50x.html {
        root   /my_rails_app/public;

I am using mongrel cluster behind Nginx to serve my rails app and
everything works fine, but if I get an application error, I get a
generic error message instead of my 50x.html page.  I am assuming this
error would be a 500 error - I get this error in my mongrel app log:

NoMethodError (undefined method `include?' for nil:NilClass):

I can see the page if I go to it directly using URL=  I was expecting Nginx to serve the 50x.html
page instead of displaying the generic message: Application error

Any idea what I am doing wrong?  Could there be some miscommunication
between mongrel and Nginx?
Posted via