Stupid newbie question (PHP's document_root in nginx and apache)

Nuno Magalhães nunomagalhaes at eu.ipp.pt
Wed Feb 18 02:24:50 MSK 2009

Hi,

Nginx is working fine for me, serves PHP through fast-cgi, all is
cool. But, the code i working on runs both on nginx and apache, so i'm
running into trouble.
Specificaly, using this PHP-code:

<?php
print "documento root: ".$_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'];
?>

...will output in
nginx 0.6.34: /var/www/nginx-default
apache 2.2.3: /var/www/pea/
Both with PHP5

Yes, different paths, since they're on two different machines. Both
are running Debian unstable. My problem is the end / that nginx
doesn't have and apache does. Is there a basic fix for this? Is there
a standard? I'm using nginx as my test server and eventually i'll try
to replace apache on the other machine, but i'd like to grok the beast
first.

This is my /etc/nginx/nginx.conf

user www-data;
worker_processes  1;

error_log  /var/log/nginx/error.log;
pid        /var/run/nginx.pid;

events {
    worker_connections  1024;
}

http {
    root /var/www/nginx-default;
    include       /etc/nginx/mime.types;
    default_type  application/octet-stream;

    access_log  /var/log/nginx/access.log;

    sendfile        on;
    #tcp_nopush     on;

    #keepalive_timeout  0;
    keepalive_timeout  65;
    tcp_nodelay        on;

    gzip  on;

    include /etc/nginx/conf.d/*.conf;
    include /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/*;
}

And my /etc/nginx/fastcgi_params

fastcgi_param  QUERY_STRING       $query_string;
fastcgi_param  REQUEST_METHOD     $request_method;
fastcgi_param  CONTENT_TYPE       $content_type;
fastcgi_param  CONTENT_LENGTH     $content_length;

fastcgi_param  SCRIPT_NAME        $fastcgi_script_name;
fastcgi_param  SCRIPT_FILENAME    $document_root$fastcgi_script_name;
fastcgi_param  REQUEST_URI        $request_uri;
fastcgi_param  DOCUMENT_URI       $document_uri;
fastcgi_param  DOCUMENT_ROOT      $document_root;
fastcgi_param  SERVER_PROTOCOL    $server_protocol;

fastcgi_param  GATEWAY_INTERFACE  CGI/1.1;
#fastcgi_param  SERVER_SOFTWARE    nginx/$nginx_version;
fastcgi_param  SERVER_SOFTWARE    none;

fastcgi_param  REMOTE_ADDR        $remote_addr;
fastcgi_param  REMOTE_PORT        $remote_port;
fastcgi_param  SERVER_ADDR        $server_addr;
fastcgi_param  SERVER_PORT        $server_port;
#fastcgi_param  SERVER_NAME        $server_name;
fastcgi_param  SERVER_NAME        none;

# PHP only, required if PHP was built with --enable-force-cgi-redirect
fastcgi_param  REDIRECT_STATUS    200;

How can i check this force-redirect thing? Through phpinfo()? Sorry
for the basic question but i couldn't really find anything useful and
#nginx on freenode right now has 70 non-persons. Is there a thorough
manual i can RTFM to fiddle eficiently with the conf file?

TIA,

Nuno Magalhães
LU#484677