How to correctly restart nginx?

Max maxbear at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 08:32:46 MSK 2009

Hello,

I got some problem to restart nginx. I am running RHEL5 and using 0.6.33 rpm
version.I changed some rewrite rules in nginx.conf and want to restart it.

When I tried :

/etc/init.d/nginx restart

It will only stop nginx. Then I type:

/etc/init.d/nginx status

I still see there are some processes running.

So, I kill all those processes and start nginx again. But my site is not
working anymore. It just redirect me to a 50x error page. I need to reboot
the server to get the sites running again.

Could anyone tell me what's the correct way to restart nginx? Thanks a lot.

Max