Self-signed certificates for nginx

Nick Pearson nick.pearson at
Thu Feb 19 18:27:51 MSK 2009

Generate a private key:

openssl genrsa -des3 -out 1024

Create a CSR:

openssl req -new -key -out
*note: enter full domain ( for CN (common name)*

Remove password from private key (optional):

openssl rsa -in -out

Generate self-signed cert:

openssl x509 -req -days 365 -in -signkey -out
*note: use .nopass if you removed the password from the private key*

Hope that helps.  I'm not sure about generating a wildcard cert.