how can i quickly handle alternate config for site downtime?

Merlin merlin at
Wed Jan 7 02:42:20 MSK 2009

Yes, it sets up a location that you are most likely never going to use.  It
appears to be convention within nginx configurations.  I don't know when it
started, but I've seen it on this list for some time now.  I am pretty sure
that you could use other special characters if you wanted, too, it's just a
character to nginx.