Auth_basic 500 error

Tom Valentine tom at tomvalentine.net
Fri Jul 10 00:28:31 MSD 2009

Michael Shadle wrote:
> try the full path to the htpasswd file. it's probably trying to read
> from the nginx config path.

Hi, I changed it to the full file path, and got the same error.
I then changed the configuration to point to a file that did not exist.
This resulted in the error:

2009/07/09 21:12:54 [error] 3820#3944: *3 CreateFile()
"C:/nginx/conf/.tpasswd" failed (2: The system cannot find the file
specified), client: 192.168.1.1, server: localhost, request: "GET
/favicon.ico?hj HTTP/1.1", host: "192.168.1.11:88"

I pointed nginx.conf back to the correct file and switched to a putty
session on my router and used wget for some testing:

wget http://:d@192.168.1.11:88/favicon.ico
-->  server returned error: HTTP/1.1 401 Unauthorized	(Expected)

But as soon as I add in a username to the request I got a 500 error:

wget http://fdfdf:fsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfd@192.168.1.11:88/favicon.ico
-->  server returned error: HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error

The only time I got a 403 error was when I was pointing nginx.conf to a
non existent file AND if I specified a username in the request:

wget http://vps:sdsd@192.168.1.11:88/favicon.ico
-->  server returned error: HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden

So it seems I can only get the authorisation to work if I don't have a
password file.

So is my password file the problem, I generated the passwords from
various sources (I tried several) including a working htpasswd file from
apache, but I would expect a 403 error, not a 500.