Auth_basic 500 error

nginx at tomvalentine.net nginx at tomvalentine.net
Fri Jul 10 00:44:00 MSD 2009

Igor Sysoev wrote:
 > On Thu, Jul 09, 2009 at 07:08:46PM +0100, nginx at tomvalentine.net wrote:
 >
 >> Hello,
 >>
 >> I can not seem to get auth basic to work, my configuration works fine
 >> with everything else, but if I enable authorisation, I get a 500
 >> Internal Server Error
 >>
 >> I think the key error is the Readfile() error, but I have no idea what
 >> it means or how to fix it.
 >>
 >>   From nginx.conf
 >>
 >> location / {
 >>     index  index.html index.htm index.php;
 >>     auth_basic private;
 >>     auth_basic_user_file htpasswd;
 >> }
 >>
 >> If anyone can help, thanks!
 >> By the way, I am using nginx/0.7.61 on Windows Vista, and the error
 >> happens in both Firefox/Opera
 >
 >> 2009/07/09 17:01:45 [error] 1348#504: *3 ReadFile() failed (38:
Reached the end of the file), client: 127.0.0.1, server: localhost,
request: "GET / HTTP/1.1", host: "localhost:88"

 > This is nginx bug, I will try to reproduce it. How big is your htpasswd ?

Currently one line, I had a few more user/password combinations in at
one point when I was trying to figure out what was going wrong.

Tom

(Sorry, forgot I had different users setup for my email so sent with
other id which meant it didn't make it to the mailing list)