behaviour changes upgrading from nginx .6.x to .7.x

Michael McCallister mikemc-nginx at terabytemedia.com
Sat Jul 11 20:28:01 MSD 2009

Greetings,

First, thanks for nginx - very cool web server.  Next, upon upgrading
from 0.6.36 to 0.7.61 I noticed some changes in behaviour which prompted
me to downgrade back to 0.6.36 until I could further understand the
changes between .6.x and .7.x.  More specifically, here is where things
worked differently:

Given this rewrite rule:  rewrite ^/[Aa]rticles/?(.*) /search.php?q=$1;

This URL: /Articles/highway+diesel+vehicles

Would generate the following $_GET in php (5.2.8 using fpm) and nginx
(0.6.36):

array (
  'q' => 'highway diesel vehicles',
)

Whereas the same exact URL would generate the following $_GET in php
(5.2.8 using fpm - no changes to php) and nginx (0.7.61 - nginx is the
only thing that changed):

array (
  'q' => 'highway+diesel+vehicles',
)

I view the behaviour under nginx 0.6.36 as correct while the behaviour
under 0.7.61 does not result in the expected value.  Obviously it is
trivial to workaround this issue, but this leads up to my main concern -
what else behaves differently?  I tried to find documentation outlining
upgrade considerations while migrating from .6.x to .7.x but could not
find any - my apologies if I missed them and/or am asking a question
already addressed previously on the list.

So I guess I really have two questions considering the above:

1) Is the above behaviour in .7.x expected?
2) Is there a list of things to watch out for when changing from .6.x to
.7.x?

Any help is greatly appreciated and thanks again for nginx.

Michael