Plenty close_wait

Joshua Zhu zhuzhaoyuan at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 05:37:10 MSD 2009

Hi!

Were those connections opened by nginx or your own application? In
most cases, long duration of CLOSE_WAIT suggests that there might be a
bug, i.e., someone forgot to close(1) the socket after use.

P.S. You can visit
http://blog.zhuzhaoyuan.com/2009/03/a-word-on-time_wait-and-close_wait/
for more details of the CLOSE_WAIT state.

Cheers!

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 7:22 AM, Fernando Perez<lists at ruby-forum.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Recently I am having a Rails app which become unresponsive after some
> time. Typing $ netstat -anp shows plenty CLOSE_WAIT connections.
>
> What's happening? Is my box hacked? Is someone trying to take it down?
> Can I configure Nginx to force closing crap connections?
>
> Thanks for your help.
> --

Joshua Zhu