mogilefs module 1.0.2

Valery Kholodkov valery+nginxen at grid.net.ru
Thu Jul 30 14:28:18 MSD 2009

Michael Shadle wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 3:45 AM, Valery
> Kholodkov<valery+nginxen at grid.net.ru> wrote:
>
>> No, at the moment it makes only one replica, but I plan to implement replication at desired minimal number of nodes simultaneously.
>
> Isn't the number of replicas defined when you use mogadm/etc. to
> define a new domain? (I think replicas is a domain property)

It seems to me that it is a property of a class.

> It sounds like it is up to the client then to make sure it gets placed
> on that many replicas. Not the tracker/mogilefsd. Although it might be
> worth looking into to see if it does, there is a replication portion
> of the daemon I believe that is supposed to keep that number of
> replicas alive at all times (I believe) - perhaps you can just be lazy
> and let it do it's job :)

There is a problem. The longer the file is the more is the probability
that storage node will fail during upload. At some installations it will
be cheaper to make multiple replicas instead of investing into
reliability of every node and the infrastructure in general.

--
Best regards,
Valery Kholodkov