Mass virtual hosting and global redirect

NoSync nginx-forum at
Mon Jun 15 17:30:47 MSD 2009

Hello everyone! I recently switched my main webserver (where I host clients' websites) from apache to nginx and I wrote a custom generic configuration file to handle everything in one place, so domains and subdomains are handled on the fly by creating directories and subdirectories. Here's the relevant snippet:

server {

        listen                  80 default;

        if ($host ~* ^(.*)\.(.*\..*)$)  {
        set $sub $1;
        set $domain $2;

        server_name             _;
        server_name_in_redirect off;
        root                    /var/www/vhosts/$domain/$sub;
        access_log              /var/log/nginx/access.log combined;
        error_log               /var/log/nginx/error.log error;

        include /etc/nginx/conf/wordpress_params;

  location / {

        root    /var/www/vhosts/$domain/$sub;
        index   index.php index.html;

Everything works just fine as nginx is a great product ;-) Now, my only problem lays in the fact I haven't been able to write a regexp to setup a global redirect from, eg, to Could anyone help me on this?