Nginx response rate increases with more upstream ports

Asif Ali azifali at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 10:20:16 MSD 2009

Dear All,
I am trying to resolve a particular issue that is not getting solved easily.

Nginx is able to route requests but the speed of routing is slowing
down..when I am increasing the number of upstream ports.

I have an app which responds in under 500ms. When I route those requests
through nginx to about 50 ports, nginx response rates increases to 1500-2500
ms whereas the app can handle large concurrent requests and there are as
many as 50 ports.

I have tried this with both fair and e-y load balancer but with similar
results.

I have also tuned nginx configuration for response times, timeouts etc but
still I see similar results.

Can anyone advise me if they have experienced a similar problem earlier and
if they have a solution for this?.

Thanks in advance

Asif