Help: cache or not by cookie

Igor Sysoev is at rambler-co.ru
Sat Jun 20 17:24:15 MSD 2009

On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 06:54:57AM -0400, tonyy wrote:

> The requirement is:
>
> When a cookie exist, not return cached file and not cache the response, if the cookie not exist, return cached file and . cache the response.
>
> In the past, we use a standalone cacheserver, the configuration looks like below:
>
> location / {
>   if ($http_cookie ~* xxx ) {
>     set  $cache  0;
>   }
>
>   if ($cache = 1) {
>       proxy_pass  http://cacheserver;
>       break;
>   }
> }
>
> location ~* \.php {
>   fastcgi_pass   127.0.0.1:8080;
> }
>
> So, cookie-non-exist visit will be directed to cacheserver, and cookie-exist visit will be directed to fastcgi_pass.
>
> So if we want to remove the cacheserver, and use nginx's cache feature, we need to configure like this:
>
> location ~* \.php {
>   fastcgi_pass   127.0.0.1:8080;
>   fastcgi_cache   php;
>   fastcgi_cache_key $request_uri;
> }
>
> Then how can we set cookie-non-exist visits to use cache and  cookie-exist visit not to use cache?

No, currently the single way is:

1) add the cookie in proxy_cache_key
   proxy_cache_key  "http://cacheserver$request_uri $cookie_name";

2) add "X-Accel-Expires: 0" in response with the cookie.

Then requests with the cookie will be sent to a backend since they will
never be cached, and requests without the cookie will be cached.

--
Igor Sysoev
http://sysoev.ru/en/