about log rotation

Igor Sysoev is at rambler-co.ru
Mon Jun 22 13:06:27 MSD 2009

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 03:18:44PM +0800, Chieu wrote:

> hi,all
> I found the way of the log rotation is below. And during the period between
> "mv" and "kill",  some logs will be lost because of the file doesn't exist
> any more.
> Is there any good ways?
>
> thanks
>
> <http://wiki.nginx.org/index.php?title=NginxLogRotation&action=edit&section=1>
>
> nginx will re-open it's logs in response to the USR1 signal.
>
> $ mv access.log access.log.0
> $ kill -USR1 <code>cat master.nginx.pid</code>
> $ sleep 1
> $ gzip access.log.0    # do something with access.log.0

No, the data will not be lost. Until a worker process keeps a file open
the worker is able to write to the file even the file was renamed or deleted.
This is true for both Unix and Win32 (although in Win32 in you can not delete
an open files, you can just to rename them).

--
Igor Sysoev
http://sysoev.ru/en/