0.7.60: "could not open error log"

Toni Mueller support-nginx at oeko.net
Fri Jun 26 12:51:42 MSD 2009

while going from 0.6.x to 0.7.6[01], I notice the following:

$ nginx -t -c /my/private/path/conf/nginx.conf
[alert]: could not open error log file: open() "/var/log/nginx/error.log" failed (13: Permission denied)
the configuration file /my/private/path/conf/nginx.conf syntax is ok
configuration file /my/private/path/conf/nginx.conf test is successful

I always set the log file locations to somewhere else, not
/var/log/nginx (the system default). When I run nginx w/o the "-t"
switch, it emits the same error message on the console, but proceeds to
actually use the log file(s) that I've specified in my configuration

Kind regards,