using Perl Mod to populate Memcached on the fly

Daniel Rhoden drhoden at iiwinc.com
Thu Mar 5 01:17:48 MSK 2009

This is purely speculative, so please don't think I know how to do
this.  I'm throwing this out so hopefully, if a good idea, the right
people can create the example.

Memcached has a good assortment of Perl clients.

Nginx has a means of embedding Perl into the configuration.

Couldn't there be a way of combining these to immediately populate the
cache when the cache returns missing?

By the way, I'm looking at this as a means of improving I/O for static
pages (on SliceHost).  Ideally nginx's Memcached Module would have the
ability to do this when the requested filename exists on the hard drive:
(-f $request_filename/index.html)

Daniel Rhoden
Director of Information Technology
Interactive Internet Websites, Inc.