Nginx - Google Summer of Code ideas

mike mike503 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 21:01:06 MSK 2009

oh, i've got a nice little wishlist going ;)

features:
* mod_svn
* mogilefs integration:
** engine yard would pay a bounty for this (as they've said)
** basically just needs to interface with a tracker to say "where is
this file based on this URI" and then dynamically proxy to the
mogstored server. the dynamic proxy piece is either complete now or
would be a very small tweak I am thinking

using nginx as a layer 7 / gzip / ssl capable proxy:
I've used it this way in the past but when upstreams went down it was
not very graceful. The only idea I had was to trigger a command to
remove the upstream from the pool until it came back again.
* dynamic upstream management, basic healthchecking should fix that, I think.
* external alert when upstream goes down (or could also trigger a
command) - might not be required with above
* fair scheduler (might not need it) but what about weighted least
connections? (emulate lvs functionality)

authentication:
* SPNEGO/Kerberos/etc. integration - (I'm paying someone $400 w/
RentACoder already)
* someone on IRC mentioned adding in digest support

logging:
* ability to error_log off; or related in any area (server, location,
etc) - i don't think it supports this right now
* allowing for error_log to be overridden anywhere would allow for
debugging based not on debug_connection or a global error_log foo
debug; but would allow for specific debugging based JUST on the host
you want
* perhaps a different debug output, sometimes it's a bit too much.
like a more simplified debug log (look how lighttpd does it - it
allows you to figure out how it's handling the file and such) - right
now ngnix's can be overkill
* have a way to log statistics (simple byte and request counter) per
Host: header, right now flatfile parsing and stuff for that basic info
is not the funnest

management:
* cluster manager (manage multiple nginx instances, like zeus' web interface)